Ten recipes to discover Giglio Island: the bean soup
- Published: 22-09-2015
- Category: Typicalness and Curiosities
Giglio, as an island, is tied to the sea. And also the cooking: most of the typical recipes of the island are based on seafood. But you shouldn’t forget that this destination has also an ancient farming tradition. As the recipe of the bean soup demonstrates, the third stage of this journey in 10 recipes to discover Giglio Island.
Ingredients (for 4 persons):
- 200 grams of white “cannellini” beans
- 100 grams of homemade egg pasta
- A onion
- A stick of celery
- Wild fennel
- A quarter of Savoy cabbage
- A tomato
- Salt (the right amount)
As you can see, it’s a very filling dish, perfect to be ate in autumn and winter.
- Put the beans in cold water for a day (24 hours)
- Prepare a very easy sautéed with oil, onion, celery and Savoy cabbage (cut very thin, almost crumbled). Cook them for 30 minutes.
- Add the tomato and wild fennel to the sautéed. Cook them for10 minutes more.
- Apart from that, let the “cannellini” beans boil.
- At the end of the cooking, add the beans and its water to the sautéed.
- Add the pasta, cook it for the right amount of time.
Now you just have to serve the bean soup at the table. Instead of pasta, ypu can serve just the beans accompanied with pieces of toasted bread.
Image source: Flickr.com/photos/stuart_spivackRelated articles