Giglio Porto: a place between history and nature
- Published: 17-02-2015
- Category: Places to See
It is the landing place for all the ferries coming from Tuscany. And it is also the starting point of the itineraries to discover Giglio Island in a day. After landing in Giglio Porto, you will find a place in a perfect balance between history and nature.
Chiesa dei Santi Lorenzo e Mamiliano – Built from 1915 and consecrated in 1958, is the parish church of the town of this area of Giglio Island. Its facade reminds the Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Grosseto. The interior of the church of St Laurence and Mamiliano, patrons of the island, has a single nave.
Torre del Saraceno – Also known as the Tower of Porto, is located in the center of the town of Giglio Porto, and stands on a granite cliff. The tower, of medieval origin and built for purposes of sighting, is circular and on its summit opens a scenic terrace.
Torre del Lazzaretto – Built right above the cliff on the sea, north of Giglio Porto. It was built by Cosimo de’ Medici in the second half of the sixteenth century as a defense against the pirates. During the ‘700 was also used as a leper hospital, from which the name that still identifies it. A square section, is now incorporated in a private complex.
Castellare del Giglio – It was a fort built at the end of the sixteenth century on the rise that is located behind Torre del Saraceno, in order to protect the harbor bay. Today there is nothing left of this structure.
Roman ruins – Are located in the southern part of the bay of Giglio Porto, not far from Torre del Saraceno.
Rioni – The village of Giglio Porto is traditionally divided into three Rioni (districts), each of which has its own color: Chiesa (white and green), Moletto (yellow and blue) and Saraceno (red and black). Each year the three districts compete in the maritime Palio held on August 10, during the celebrations for the patron San Lorenzo.
Beaches – Near Giglio Porto are some of the most beautiful beaches of Giglio Island. Such as the beach of Cannelle, with its fine white sand and granite rocks, and Cala Galdana, with its white sand of coarse and a rocky promontory covered by Mediterranean vegetation.
Image soucre: Flickr.com/photos/lucalazRelated articles