Giglio Island tour in kayak: things to know
- Published: 28-04-2015
- Category: Things to Do
Diving, hiking, snorkeling: Giglio Island is the ideal place for all those passionate of sport. Especially for those sporting activities that take place (also) in the sea. Such as kayaking. And this is just your case.
Indeed, you want to cirmcumnavigate Giglio Island in kayak. Before starting, there are some things you should know.
Duration and distance
The circumnavigation of Giglio Island is about 25-28 km long. The more experienced and trained can face the whole journey in a single day. If you are a beginner, you can part the tour in two or more days.
The stages of the tour of Giglio Island by kayak:
- Giglio Porto (starting point of the tour): proceed south along the coast.
- Cala Caldane, about 2.5 kilometers from Giglio Porto, is one of the most beautiful beaches of Giglio Island, first stop of the tour.
- Punta Capel Rosso is the southernmost tip of the island, from this moment you will move to the north, always along the coast.
- Punta del Faraglione is immediately recognizable by the stack: you are in Giglio Campese, second stop of the tour. Here, if you wish, you can spend the night in one of the many hotels and resume the next day.
- From the tip of Fenaio this itinerary comes back in Giglio Porto, the starting point of the tour.
- Punta del Fenaio, far north of the island, is recognizable by the presence of the lighthouse. The last stop of the tour in one of the numerous coves. We will continue back to the south.
Some recommendations to follow:
- be cautious
- be in good physical shape
- Assure that all equipment is in excellent condition
- if necessary, ask for help and advice from more experienced kayaker.
This is the information you need to circumnavigate Giglio Island by kayak. Now you just have one thing to do: prepare all the equipment and book a place on one of the ferries to Giglio Island.
Image source: Flickr.com/photos/whltravelRelated articles